Lantus Insulin Overdose: Treatment and Symptoms
What is Lantus insulin?
It is a long-acting insulin glargine injection used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus in adult and pediatric patients. A single dose per day of Lantus is enough to maintain a constant baseline insulin level. It comes in a 10ml vial or 3ml SoloStar prefilled pen, with 100 units/ml insulin glargine.
Being a relatively new drug from this class, limited cases of Lantus overdose have been presented. A study found that Lantus overdose has a more rapid onset of action and prolonged duration. Clinicians must avoid early interruption of glucose infusion and consider possible glycemic status lasting over 24 hours. A case report confirmed a hypoglycemic episode occurring 96 hours after massive glargine injection.
Symptoms of insulin overdose
- Fast heartbeat
- Impaired vision
- Slurred speech
- Pale skin
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Death (due to insulin shock)
A Lantus overdose is an extremely dangerous situation. Patients on insulin must have a glucagon injection available to offset the effects of insulin. For mild and moderate hypoglycemia, a patient can eat 15–20 grams of carbohydrates or high-sugar food and drinks (non-diet soda, fruit juice, candy, or raisins). To avoid an overdose, follow the instructions from your doctor. Do not change your dose unless instructed by your health-care provider.
Disclaimer: Please note that the contents of this community article are strictly for informational purposes and should not be considered as medical advice. This article, and other community articles, are not written or reviewed for medical validity by Canadian Insulin or its staff. All views and opinions expressed by the contributing authors are not endorsed by Canadian Insulin. Always consult a medical professional for medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment.