Glyburide (Diabeta) Uses and Dosage
What is Glyburide (Diabeta)?
One of the most widely used medicines in treating type 2 diabetes is Glyburide. This medicine is available in different brand names, such as diabeta, glycron, glynase, and micronase. These branded medicines are sold globally, providing enough medical therapy to individuals suffering from acute or chronic effects of type 2 diabetes. The same medicine is also available in its generic version, which is cheaper compared to branded ones. Regardless of the strength and forms, Glyburide is still considered an effective medicine.
Similar to other drugs, Glyburide can be consumed alongside other diabetes medications. This is to effectively relieve and alleviate hostile symptoms that the disease accords to its hosts. This form of therapy enables the body’s immune system to function properly, making treatment an easy undertaking.
Additionally, consumption involving Diabeta is done orally. The dosage will depend on the healthcare professionals’ assessments, from which the prescription to produce should be followed accordingly. Glyburide is efficient in fighting type 2 diabetes as long as it is consumed and used according to the instructions of the healthcare professional.
Furthermore, one important thing that individuals with diabetes should observe is that, when consuming this medicine, the right diet and proper exercise must also be observed to ensure that the treatment becomes successful. These activities must be done to encourage a speedy recovery.
Uses of Glyburide
Just like other medications made specifically for diabetes, there are a lot of uses with regards to Glyburide. However, as mentioned above, this medicine can only work better if an individual is also following an accurate diet and common exercise routines during the duration of the treatment. Some of the uses of Diabeta may include the following:
- Individuals who suffer from type 2 diabetes experience episodes of abnormal blood sugar levels. To stabilize and control this condition, Glyburide is administered.
- Aside from its advantageous properties in providing medical aid to diabetic people, it is also capable of preventing other health complications. These complications may include problems relating to the nerves, damage in the kidneys, blindness, sexual dysfunction, and even loss of limbs.
- Once this medicine is ingested regularly and diabetes is fully managed, an individual can prevent acquiring stroke and serious heart attack. Proper diabetes management reduces someone’s risk of having more health complications.
All these uses are considered advantageous as Glyburide can contribute a lot apart from diabetes treatment. Always note that in order to get the full health benefits of this medicine, it should be consumed properly.
How does it work?
Alongside other medications, Glyburide is also a part of a drug classification called sulfonylureas. Medicines under this drug categorization function by inducing the discharge of natural insulin in the body. As pre-defined, insulin is a natural hormone that enables the cells to uptake sugar and converts it to the energy that the body needs to operate. Once there is an established amount of insulin in the body, diabetes can be managed and controlled.
Once glucose is moved to the body cells, transforming it to strength or vitality to sustain physical activities, the blood sugar levels of the body are lowered. This process maintains the normal status of the blood sugar, thus, preventing diabetes from surging and causing more complications. But of course, the dosage for regular consumptions involving Diabeta must be followed, which means that maintaining this drug helps a lot in preventing the blood sugar level from increasing and expanding.
Dosage of Glyburide
Prior to receiving a prescription regarding diabetes treatment, there are certain factors that a healthcare professional takes note of, especially for the daily dosage requirement. Some of these factors may include:
- A patients’ weight
- A patients’ present age
- A patients’ medical history
- Other forms of drugs or medicines that a patient is currently taking
- Other diseases that a patient may have (which can greatly affect the treatment and may call for an adjustment in the dosage)
Dosage for adults:
- The initial dosage is likely 2.5 to 5 mg of Glyburide to be consumed orally on a daily basis.
- This dosage is given for diabetic people age 18 years to 64 years old.
- For dosage adjustment, depending on the glucose levels of the body, the usual dose is at least two tablets on a daily basis.
Dosage for children:
- The initial dosage is likely 2.5 mg of Glyburide to be consumed orally on a daily basis.
- If dosage adjustment is needed, it should be done slowly.
It is necessary that the dosage is consumed every day. It means that an individual should not skip doses nor miss a single dose. To ensure that this medicine is consumed daily, setting the most comfortable time to take this medicine can be a recommendation. Or he/she can also set the alarm to get notified immediately that it’s time for the daily dose.
The main reason why a patient is being assessed first is that drug interactions are possible. This explains why a patient is asked about the other forms of medicines that he/she is currently taking to ensure that it is safe to use Glyburide. Once an interaction occurs, it can affect how Glyburide functions and lessen the effectiveness of the said medicine. Other than that, you will also experience more side effects, which makes it more difficult to treat the disease. So, discuss everything with your healthcare professional first before receiving your prescription.
Warnings and Precautions
Before using this drug, you must be aware of the warning and precautions associated with it. These are as follows:
- Allergy is probably the first basis before using this drug. If you are proven allergic or hypersensitive to this drug and its ingredients, avoid using it. Note that hypersensitivity can be fatal.
- Limit your alcohol intake as it can affect the treatment process. If you haven’t known yet, some alcoholic beverages can contribute a lot to the high blood sugar levels of the body.
- If you have a current infection in your liver and kidney, your healthcare professional will likely provide a lesser dose of Glyburide.
- Discuss with your doctor first if you have a condition in the heart.
- Pregnancy might be affected if you will take this medicine. Again, discuss with your healthcare professional first the risk of consuming Glyburide.
Check Glyburide prices at canadianinsulin.com!
Disclaimer: Please note that the contents of this community article are strictly for informational purposes and should not be considered as medical advice. This article, and other community articles, are not written or reviewed for medical validity by Canadian Insulin or its staff. All views and opinions expressed by the contributing authors are not endorsed by Canadian Insulin. Always consult a medical professional for medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment.